Laura Upchurch works hard to craft practical and cost-effective solutions to legal problems. Though she frequently represents clients in court - in contested probate, guardianship and trust cases, real estate matters or civil lawsuits - Laura's goal is to help clients resolve disputes with the least amount of time, expense and emotional stress.
In her litigation practice, Laura represents parties in cases involving trusts and estates, commercial disputes related to business interests, and general civil litigation. She regularly appears in trial and appellate courts throughout Texas, both in jury trials and matters heard by the judge.
Laura is experienced in representing executors, administrators, beneficiaries and creditors in both complex and simple estate administrations and probate proceedings, and in advising individuals in trust administrations and guardianship proceedings. She also serves as an attorney ad litem, guardian ad litem and court investigator in guardianship actions. Upchurch prepares wills, trusts, powers of attorney, healthcare advance directives, and other related documents.
Laura counsels owners of businesses and professional practices about legal issues involving contracts, sales and leases of assets, operations and employment matters. She also handles real estate matters such as leases, contracts, sales, purchases, title matters and rights of property owners, landlords and tenants.
- American College of Trust & Estate Counsel - Fellow
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2013-2020 in the field of Elder Law (Copyright 2020 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC)
- The University of Texas School of Law, adjunct professor in appellate advocacy (1997-98) and coach of national championship moot court teams (1995-1998)
B.A., History, with high honors, The University of Texas at Austin, 1981
- Phi Beta Kappa
J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 1992
- National Order of the Barristers; Board of Advocates - Chairman
- Texas State Courts
- U. S. District Courts, Southern and Western Districts
- U. S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- State Bar of Texas (1992 - present)
- State Bar of Texas, Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Council (2012 - 2016; Chair- Guardianship Committee)
- Texas Bar Foundation (1998 - present )
- Washington County Bar Association; Brazos County Bar Association
Laura has spoken at numerous continuing education courses for the State Bar of Texas, including the annual courses in Fiduciary Litigation; Advanced Estate Planning and Probate Course; Advanced Real Estate Course; Advanced Guardianship Course; Estate Planning and Probate Drafting; Estate Planning and Probate 101; Building Block of Wills, Estates and Probate; and State Bar College Summer School. She has also presented at seminars conducted by the The University of Texas School of Law, Texas Tech School of Law, Houston Bar Association, Midland Memorial Foundation and the Tarrant County Bar Association.
- Rotary Club of Washington County
- Texas Arts & Music Festival (Treasurer)
- Habitat for Humanity, Washington County (Past officer)
- Heritage Society of Washington County (Past officer)
- Brenham Presbyterian Church (Elder, Past Chair - Finance Committee)
Paralegal: Jill Landry - [email protected]