Wendy Yates will listen, answer your questions, explain the legal side of matters in simple terms, identify options for you, and help you develop and implement plans that you understand. No question is ever stupid and there is no judgment. Whether you are needing estate planning, facing a long term care or guardianship situation, or dealing with real estate or oil and gas, Wendy works hard to make sure your specific needs are addressed in the most effective and simplest way. Most planning and some real estate matters are billed as a flat fee based on the complexity and time involved. Probate, guardianship, and other matters are typically billed hourly.
Wendy can help you develop estate plans regardless of whether your estate is small or very large. She has helped clients plan for long term care, Medicaid, and family members with special needs or circumstances as well as passing down family land, operating closely-held businesses, transitioning family businesses, protecting assets, and preserving wealth. She prepares simple and tax-planned Wills, revocable, irrevocable, and special needs trusts, marital property agreements, contracts, business agreements, financial and medical powers of attorney, guardianship designations and other estate planning and business documents. She represents executors, administrators, guardians, and beneficiaries in probate and guardianship proceedings and trust and estate administrations, including family settlement agreements, mediations, and annual and final accountings. She also represents trustees and trust beneficiaries regarding funding, administering, modifying and terminating trusts. She prepares federal estate tax and annual gift tax returns and counsels clients regarding estate, gift, and generation-skipping tax matters. In addition, she assists people in buying, selling, and leasing residential, rural, and commercial properties and negotiating oil and gas leases. Wendy works closely with your trusted financial advisors, accountants, insurance agents, and others to help you reach your goals.
DISTINCTIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Recognized in 2022-2019 in Texas Super Lawyers list in Estate Planning & Probate, by Super Lawyers®, a Thomson Reuters business
- Member of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Law Review Note & Comment Editor, South Texas College of Law
- Order of the Lytae and Phi Delta Phi Honors Fraternity
- More than 10 years of working with adults and children with disabilities and their families prior to becoming a lawyer
- Speaker on estate planning, probate, guardianship, long term care, and special needs trusts
- Rice University, B.A. & B.A.
- South Texas College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2002
- Brenham Rotary Club (Past President)
- Washington County Chamber of Commerce (Past Director)
- Volunteer Services Council, Brenham State Supported Living Center (Past Chair)
- SIRE therapeutic horse program
- Salt Grass Trail Ride
Paralegal: Jenny Newman - [email protected]